We made this pizza for the pun, not even sure that it would work, and it ended up being one of our favorite recipes yet. The garlicky crust, stained magenta with earthy and sweet slices of beets, is the perfect foil to funky, salty Sheep’s milk cheese and bright, astringent beet greens.
Ingredients: 1 batch Pizza Crust; 2 tbsp Olive Oil; 2 Beets, with Greens; 1 clove Garlic; 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar; a few ounces of a hard, funky Sheep’s Milk Cheese like Ricotta Salata or, on our case, Pecorino Romano- Shaved.
Preheat your oven to 450°. Get your Pizza Crust ready— or just buy some dough from the store. Roll it out to 1/2in thickness on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with Olive Oil.
Peel and thinly slice the Beet Root and arrange on the Pizza Dough. We recommend using a mandolin if you’ve got one. Stick it in the oven and bake until the crust is golden on the edges, about 18 minutes.
While the Pizza bakes, thoroughly wash the Beet Greens and tear into bite size pieces. Once the Pizza is done, rub the crust with the clove of Garlic. Top with the Beet Greens, a drizzle of good Balsamic, and Cheese.
Seven Rules For True Farmer’s Market Love
1) Set your alarm. I don’t care that it’s Saturday. The best Farmer’s Market is the 8 AM Farmer’s Market. The dawn-picked strawberries and the almond croissants will be gone by 8:30.
2) Don’t forget your basket.
3) Don’t you dare eat breakfast first. The crepe guy might be there again. Arrive hungry and leave stuffed.
4) Don’t forget your wad of cash. And always bring $20 more than you think you should bring.
5) Once you’re there, for heaven’s sake, don’t be in a rush. You’re gonna see everyone you know. It’s a shop ‘n chat.
6) If you eat meat, buy all of it here. It’s not only better for you. It’s better for the planet. Choices like this change the world.
7) Compliment your vendors. Make sure they know how fantastic, creative, and appreciated they are. Ask them questions about how they do things. They’ll love to tell you all about it. It’s people like this who make your community interesting. Make sure they know it.
Rikki Snyder Photography: Summer Vibes
It’s almost time! #fayetteville #farmersmarket #downtownsquare
#frugal #lessismore #truth